- March 1, 2018
- Jennifer Salerno
How boot-camp took us back to the future.
Our team recently went through a strategic planning “boot-camp” as part of a grant requirement. A mandatory part of the exercise was justifying our value…what do we bring to the table, how do we help?
This was definitely a test. Our short answers, in rapid succession:
- “Because 75% of serious illness and death in youth is preventable…”
- “Because nearly half of all youth who commit suicide visited a healthcare provider within the previous month…”
- “Umm…because it’s the right thing to do?”
We were pushed further: “What is in it for your users – the healthcare provider, the professional working with youth? How are you helping them?”
Ahhh – there it was, the lightbulb moment!
Preventing avoidable illness and death in youth is our mission – it’s the reason why we do what we do. It’s the same mission that drives most of us in this work.
|But making it as easy as possible for providers and professionals, to identify and counsel youth on the risky behaviors that drive our mission…making it painless…THAT is the reason behind WHY we’ve created every single solution and service we offer.|
It’s the reason why RAAPS was created in the first place. It was our first “tool”. RAAPS was developed to solve all of the workflow and practice management issues that get in the way of your mission:
- Validated, short-format. Why? Your time is short – RAAPS has been proven to identify the most significant risks – in minutes.
- Why? To ensure every youth is screened the same way – with the same questions – every time.
- Tablet / smartphone delivery. Why? Youth engage honestly with technology – you don’t have to “ask” all of the questions – instead you can use your time to follow up on the risks identified.
- Prioritized, evidence-based talking points. Why? To make it easier to get the conversation started specific to the risks identified – we all have different experience and comfort levels with risk topics.
Yes, we could go on… but back to boot-camp. It was a great experience – if for no other reason than it reminded us of why we continue to develop our technology… facilitate the adolescent-focused MI trainings… write the books…. Why we got started and where we are going into the future – as we achieve our mission together with all of you!